UC Family Friendly Policies for Staff Employees
The University of California has established policies to express its commitment to a workplace culture supportive of family care-giving responsibilities.
Time off for baby bonding
The federal Family and Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act allow up to 12 work weeks of leave to bond with your newborn or newly adopted child. If your leave qualifies under both statutes, it runs concurrently under both.
UC will continue to pay its portion of benefits premiums while you are on leave. You may use any amount of vacation days or unpaid leave and up to 30 days of sick leave for this purpose. See the Absence from Work policy and Pregnancy, Newborn Child and Adopted Child Fact Sheet for details.
Time off for a child’s school activities
You may take up to 40 hours per year (maximum of eight hours per month) for your child’s school activities. See the Absence from Work policy for details.
Family care leave
You may take up to 12 work weeks in a calendar year to care for yourself or an ill family member with a Family and Medical Leave. See the Absence from Work policy and the Family and Medical Leave Fact Sheet for more information.
You may use up to 30 days of sick leave to care for ill family members or others residing in your household not covered by Family and Medical Leave.
Policy Documents & Resources
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members PPSM
- HR Leave Administration: Leave of Absence Process for Staff
- FML Fact Sheet
- Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Lactation Accommodation Notice
- Pregnancy, Newborn Child, & Adopted Child Factsheet
- Your Rights and Obligations as a Pregnant Employee - DFEH
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Employee-initiated Reduction in Time (ERIT) Program (Staff only)
UC Santa Barbara Employee Services
Employee Services is all about supporting your overall well-being. Through our programs, we provide a variety of services and resources that will help you address different life events that may impact your health, family and/or workplace. We are here for you and committed to helping you thrive at UCSB.
- Threat Assessment and Management
- Behavioral Health and Wellness Services
- Help with navigating / accessing care
- Assistance with claims/billing issues
- Coordination with Medicare
- Medical Leaves
- Pregnancy and Parental Leaves
- Leave to Care for a Family Member
- Non-Medical Leaves of Absence